The Book of Assistance
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

Forgive me for the very delayed post on such an excellent book, tabarak'Allah. I actually read it twice.. and I'm sure if I read it again I'll discover new information that I some how missed. AlhumduliLlah, every single sentence has something we can think about, learn and benefit from. I'll give you some examples below.



Title: The Book of Assistance
Author: Imam 'Abdullah Ibn 'Alawi Al-Haddad
Translated by: Dr. Mostafa Badawi
Available: Fons Vitae

Have I learned anything from it, or was it all review? I learned a lot from it, alhumduliLlah. Although the topics seem basic, there is a lot we can reflect on.. and in doing so you come to realize so much more.

Does the author use Qur'anic and authentic hadith texts? Both are used, as well as quotes from different scholars. Unfortunately the hadith are not sourced!!

Is the book easy to understand? AlhumduliLlah easy to read. Chapters (topics) are very short.. like a page or two long, but very, very concise, so you can read a topic and either get a lot out of it, or a little.. it all depends on how much you ponder over what you have read.

Notable pages? I think each topic has something valuable in it, so the whole book. Again, this is one of those books you need to own.. so you can constantly refer to it. Below are sentences just randomly taken out of the book, so it gives you an idea of how concise it is, insha'Allah.
Know that repentance cannot be sound unless the sin itself is renounced, remorse is felt, and there is present a determination never to repeat it for the rest of one's life.
Everything that is forbidden to say is forbidden to listen to.
For everything depends on food which, when licit, had a great illuminating influence on the heart and gives the body energy for worship.
Disloyalty includes withholding from them any good that you are able to bring them, as well as frowning and chiding. (This is in regards to being loyal to your parents.)
Never frighten or alarm a Muslim; never mock, ridicule, or despise him, for these are part of ominous and blameworthy behaviour.
Out of 5: I rate this book 5.

It would be nice to hear from others who have read it, what you thought of it.. or at least what you would rate it.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 11:09 AM | Permalink


10 Comments:


At 12:32 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dearest Farhana,

Thank you for doing a book review on this book. I haven't read this book but I think I will buy it based on your review.

ma'a salaamah,

ha

 

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Subhan'Allah, I was just thinking about you!

Jazaki'Allahu khair for dropping by. Insha'Allah I hope you find it as beneficial as I did.

What book are you reading lately??

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

I just finished reading some fiction be Dean Koontz called Odd Brother. I think the last religious book I read was re-reading parts of the Ideal Muslimah and Don't Be Sad.

ma'a salaamah,

ha

 

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Oh.. I remember reading some books by Dean Koontz.. way back then. I haven't touched a fiction book for a while..as I get barely get time to read an Islamic one.

I still haven't finished reading Don't Be Sad :( Insha'Allah one day, maybe it should be the next book on my list. I've stuck to reading ONE book at a time, otherwise I end up finishing non.

Jazaki'Allahu khair for sharing with me :)

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Solace

This sounds like a nice book, will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for posting your review.

 

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Solace,

Jazaki'Allahu khair for visiting my end of the world.. and for your lovely comment.

If you ever get to read the book, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous aashely

Extracts which you have shared just make me to grab it instantly..Inshallah

 

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu Aashely,

Jazaki'Allahu khair for taking the time to comment on my blog, much appreciated.

AlhumduliLlah,.. and I didn't even 'pick' certain ones, I just did a ramdom.. flip through the pages and typed whatever I got.

Insha'Allah I pray you get a chance to read the book.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Farhana

 

At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Adikbongsu

Assalamu'alaikum wr wb,

Jazakillahu khairan ya ukhti!
This is very valuable information, right now I'm aiming this book, hope to be able to purchase it soon.

:)

 

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Oh.. no, no, YOU can't purchase the book!! :D Although, there is a distributor right where you are..haha, but don't buy it yet.. okay.. I'm check with a connection here.

But yes.. it is a pretty good book, which has information I'm sure everyone could benefit from.. even if it is just reminders for some.

I'll keep you posted.. on my Canada connection :)

As-salaamu'alaykum
Lots of Love
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts