Drawstring Bag
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

I made this cute little pouch for a 'project idea' insha'Allah I hope to launch. Anyway, here's how I made it.. if anyone is interested. It's really easy to make, you can use any 'left over' fabric for this project, and they great for storing anything and everything! (Shoes, Markers, Kids Toys, Cosmetics and can even use it as a Gift Bag!.. etc.)


1) - Cut out two pieces of fabric; 10w" x 14.5h" each piece. (you can use anysize you wish, or have)- Finish the edges of each piece. (zigzag or serger) *I used a serger on mine* With the RIGHT sides in, sew the two pieces together, (bottom of bag, and both long edges) but you must leave part of the long edges unstitched to leave room for the drawstring section. Stitching 1.75" down from the top, using a 1/4" seam.

2) - To create a flat bottom, fold the bottom corner so it is perpendicular to the rest of the bag, pin where you want to stitch and sew in 3/4" from the corner.


Here is what it looks like with the corners sewn.


3) - Press the seams open and sew the unstitched edges.


Here's what it looks like from the outside:


4) - Now press down 1/4" on the top of the bag.


5) - And then another 7/8" or so (you want the top to hit below the opening of the sides)- Stitch the top part down. (approx. 1/8" seams)


7) - You need two pieces of string, each one long enough to loop around the bag once.


8) - Stick a safety pin through one end and snake it through one side and then through the other. I then tie the string together in a knot, the second drawstring goes in from the other side and back out.

Pull on the ends and voila!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 10:22 AM | Permalink


3 Comments:


At 12:45 PM, Blogger monART

Thank you so much for this easy to follow tutorial. I'm a beginner and this was really clear to me what to do. I surfed looking for a tute that I'd be able to understand and yours did it!

 

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Heya MonArt!

Wonderful to see you. You'd never believe, I thought about you just this morning. I was thinking about all the swaps.. then wondered if you had finally received your gift from the Green Swap. It's depressing to know some people may be still 'waiting'.. one of the things I hate about swaps!

Anyway, thank you for the lovely comment. I am very happy the tutorial is easy to follow, happy sewing :D

Take care
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts