Nanaimo Bar
Friday, January 19, 2007
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

I think it's about time for a new recipe. The Nanaimo Bar is a famous Canadian cookie/bar. It's extremely easy to make since it's a no-bake bar, I love how it tastes; rich and wonderfully chocolatey... but like most Canadian chocolates and cookies they are a little sweet. So you could either cut down the sugar or cut down your snacking time!




Makes 25

Bottom Layer:
1/2 cup (4oz/8 tblsp) unsalted butter - room temperature
1/4 cup (2oz/4 tblsp) sugar
1/3 cup (3oz/5 tblsp) unsweetened cocoa
1 large egg - beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (16oz/455g) graham cracker crumbs
1 cup (8oz/227g) coconut
1/2 cup pecans (4oz/114g) (or walnuts) - coarsely chopped

Filling:
1/4 cup (2oz.4 tblsp) unsalted butter
2 - 3 tblsp milk
2 tsp vanilla custard powder (or vanilla pudding powder)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (16oz/455g) powdered sugar
optional: green food colour

Topping:
2 oz milk chocolate (or mint chocolate.. great if you use green food colour in filling)



:: Butter a 9" x 9" pan.

Bottom Layer:
:: In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
:: Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and then gradually whisk in the beaten egg.
:: Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1 - 2 minutes).
:: Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped nuts.
:: Press the mixture evenly into pan.
:: Cover and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).

Filling:
:: In your electric mixer cream the butter.
:: Beat in the remaining ingredients.
:: If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more milk.
:: Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
:: Cut into 25 squares.

Top Layer:
:: Melt chocolate in double-boiler (ie: in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water).
:: Drizzle over each square.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 1:23 PM | Permalink


13 Comments:


At 6:38 PM, Blogger Ihsaan-the struggle

Salaamu aleykum warahmatulaah sis..

Maasha'allah...Yummie! Those look deliciuos, insha'allah I will try one of these recipies, especially this one.

Jazaak allaah for sharing, mhmmm

 

At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

AssalamuAlaikum,

JazakumAllahukhairan this seems like a nice and easy recipe.

Just wanted to ask what exactly are graham cracker crumbs?

walaikumassalam

 

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister(s)... erm, if anonymous is a sister,

Ihsaan, always so nice to hear from you. Insha'Allah I hope you get to try it out.. please let us know what you think of it. It will be nice to see if others think it's as good as I think it is :)

Anonymous, forgive me for not mentioning more on graham cracker crumbs.. I should have, since you can not find them everywhere. They are a sweet, plain, wheat cookie. You can either buy the cookie and just make it into crumbs or buy a box of the actual crumbs. I'm sure you could substitute it for any other cookie (crumbs), like shortbread, wafers, etc. It would probably taste a little different, but that's not always a bad thing, insha'Allah. I hope this helps. If you decided to try it out, let us know how it goes, and what changes you made.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 6:34 AM, Blogger wayfarer

YUMMY!

 

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Rachel Siegel

ooo..those look yummy....i'm definently gonna try them when i get home.....

 

At 12:44 AM, Blogger [a}

>stomach growls<

I want to reach into the screen and pull one out to gobble up.

 

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sisters,

Wayfarer.. yummy it is :)

Rachel, I look forward to getting some feedback from you. My mom and brother thought they were very sweet, I on the other hand.. just love them!

[A}, if only we could both do that! ahh.. I think I have to make more soon, insha'Allah.

Thank you for the comments ladies.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Organica

Once I lose weight, graduate from college, get married and have children. I shall try this recipe.

But in the mean time, we might arrange some special delivery, eh?

hehehe

 

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister Organic,

hahaha.. very funny :)
*I can't image what would have happen if I thought like that... cookie deprived!!*

Oh sure Organic, I can organize a delivery.. but I'm not sure you'd receive the whole batch :D

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 8:26 PM, Blogger The Muslim Wife's Kitchen

Wow, masha'allah, quite a recipe!


I made your thumb-print cookies when my inlaws were here and they loved them! I tried it with coconut and nutella, but the coconut burned, so then I tried plain sugar and different fillings, but the jam filled ones were the biggest hit. Jazakhallah khair habibti!

 

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister,

Always nice to hear from you :)

I am happy you had the opportunity to make the thumb-print cookies..and even 'test' it on others..hehe :) ooh coconut and chocolate! I never thought of that. I wonder if baking the cookies at a lower tempreture (350F) for longer with avoid the coconut burning? I should try it out one of these days, insha'Allah.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 12:28 AM, Blogger UmmBadier

Asalamu Walaikum,
I always enjoy your doings, masha Allah.
Linda "Widad" Delgado, author of Halal Food, Fun and Laughter is accepting original recipes and foody stories for another book. The profit goes to a Muslim Food Bank, inshallah.
Recipes: original, never been published before. List Ingredients and list
Method for making the recipe. If any unusual ingredient is used (something
native to their country) please explain below the recipe in a footnote and
suggest something similiar that could be used.

Funny food short stories.. a funny story that is about eating, preparing
food. We all have such cute stories we can think of when cooking with our
kids or making a big goof when trying a recipe! :0 Maximum of 500 words. I
will edit for spelling and punctuation but won't change the written story.

Funny food poetry -- light hearted poetry about food. A maximum of 32
lines. Any style acceptable.

The contributor should include their name.city/state and/or country. If
they have a website and/or blog they can include this. This information
will be included in the book crediting their contribution.

August 15th is the deadline for submissions. I will respond to each
contributor and advise if I have chosen his/her work for inclusion.

woodad@mindspring.com
Sorry so long.. I can't find your email.
Love and Salam,
~Brooke

 

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Brooke,

Jazak'Allah for stopping by! It's wonderful to have new people leave their mark.

And many thanx for letting us know about the book to be published, insha'Allah.

I shall insha'Allah try my best to get something in..I do love to cook and bake, and am sure I have something original and wonderful!

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts