Loving Freezer Paper
Tuesday, January 08, 2008
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

The amazing things you can do using freezer paper! You should be able to find Freezer Paper at any grocery store. It's like wax paper but one side is shiny (ie: waxy), and one side is matte (like parchment paper).

Why use freezer paper to stencil? It adheres to the fabric, leaving your work absolutely clean, and very professional look. It's also cheap!

Materials:
:: fabric (ie: t-shirt, bag, etc; what ever you are stenciling on)
:: freezer paper
:: exacto knife
:: the image you want to stencil (drawn or a computer print out)
:: tape
:: iron
:: paints (either of the following):
- fabric paint
- acrylic paint (with fabric medium mixed in)
- acrylic paint - will need to heat set after stenciling
:: sponges


Find the image you would like to stencil. You can either: print your image directly on to the freezer paper - on the matte side!! using your ink jet printer, or draw the image (onto the matte side), or tape a photocopied/sketched image onto the matte side of the freezer paper. (note: I first sketch my ideas out, then trace it onto the freezer paper..as shown in the image).


Cut the image out using an exacto knife (or small scissors).. I think exacto knives are one of the greatest inventions in this world.

Once your image is cut, place your freezer paper stencil on to your ironed (wrinkle free) fabric. So the shiny side should be down.. right? Make sure the iron is on dry set and iron the stencil on.

Take another piece of freezer paper (the same size as the one you just ironed on), and iron it behind the fabric; the inside of the fabric (shiny side touching the fabric). This helps keep the fabric in place and stops the paint from leaking right through. (optional: you may also place a cardboard inside the shirt to prevent the paint going through to the other side)



Using a sponge dab a thin coat of paint on. Make sure to dab, not brush. If you need another coat of paint or add another colour, let the first one dry all the way through and then dab another thin layer on, etc.



Once you are done painting, and it is completely dry, peel the stencil off. Peel the freezer paper on the inside off. Heat set your image.

Heat set: with your iron on medium tempreture (no steam), iron it inside-out for 30 seconds. Or you can put it in the dryer on low heat, inside-out for 15 minutes. Note: the stencil can not be used again... but stencilling is addictive!

Have fun ..and make sure to come back and share your masterpiece!

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 12:50 PM | Permalink


23 Comments:


At 7:11 PM, Blogger J Lev

So that's how you do it. Wow. That looks really simple. I'll definitely try it sometime. Thanks for the generous tutorial!

 

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear Gulnarita :D

haha.. yuppers, that's how I do it! It's as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. So the more detailed and pieces your image has, the more work and patience is needed, but well worth the effort.

Please let me know how it goes, and if you have any further questions, or anything on the tutorial cleared up, please don't hesitate to ask.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Lots of Love
Farhana

 

At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow! SubhanAllah, that is *amazing*! I absolutely love crafts and hands on things - especially when it involves personalizing fashion and typography :D Jazakillahu Khairan for sharing this wonderful technique.

wasalaamu'alaykum warahmatulahee wabarakatuhu
ala :)

 

At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh dear Farhana,

Masya-Allah....beautiful :)
I simply love reading ur ideas for arts.

btw,is freezer paper the same as the baking paper use in baking?

 

At 1:27 AM, Blogger J Lev

Salams Farhanita

I was just thinking.... have you ever tried this with aerosol fabric paint? :) That would be cool.

 

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Jazak'Allah for the comments.

Blessed Muslimah, I am so with you on what you said. I hope you get to give this a try. And once everything in your closet has your name on..you know it's time to stop :D

Adikbongsu, jazak'Allah. Excellent question. (Although some might use this for baking)..but usually it's Wax Paper (for cakes) and Parchment Paper (for cookies). This here, is a combination of both.

Gulnarita, I have not tried it using aerosol fabric paint, but I agree, that would definitely give an awesome effect. I'll see if I can get an air spray gun and try it out. Jazak'Allah for the suggestion.. much appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes, insha'Allah.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Lots of Love
Farhana

 

At 4:27 AM, Blogger Atypical

Assalamu'alaikum
Looks like fun! i don't think we have freezer paper in the uk, i must admit i've never heard of it. My previous encounters with stenciling ( a very long time ago!) have always been with acetate which is thin clear plastic sheet thingy, i think the advantage of that is you can use it a few times, before you get rid of it. Great tutorial by the way it's certainly made me think of stenciling again!

 

At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow ......... I would love to do that once.

 

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Jazak'Allah for stopping by.

JaTM, I thought we didn't have freezer paper here (in Canada) when I first came across this technique..but lo and behold, there is was on the shelf.. so insha'Allah you can find it at your end too. Yes, yes.. before my discovery of freezer paper I used the same sheets you mentioned. Which I still use for stenciling on walls/books/wood/etc. But for fabric, I love doing it this way. I hope you give it a go again.. :)

Maryam, I don't know if that's possible! You try it once, and you'll have do it again :D Insha'Allah I hope you give it try. Please let me know how it goes, and what you decided to add your personal touch too!

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 9:22 PM, Blogger futuregirl

I just saw freezer paper at the grocery store today. I've been wanting to try this for a long time. I've got to get some now after seeing your wonderful results. :)

 

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Hello Future Girl,

Thank you so much for stopping by, much appreciated.

I really hope you get the opportunity to try it out.. it opens a whole new word to personalizing your work.

Hope to see you again.

Please take care,
Love Farhana

 

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Mona Zenhom

Wow, mashaAllah that looks great! She's crafty!

 

At 5:26 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest Mona,

Jazak'Allah! I hope you get to try it out!! It's a lot of fun :)

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 8:30 PM, Blogger mutmai'naa

Masha'Allah, you are so artistically inclined! Insha'Allah, I will try this soon.

Btw - I live in Toronto too :) I actually live five minutes away from the P4E center (I just read your latest post about the BBQ - I actually didn't know that was going on!)Anyways, enjoyed your blog :D

 

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Jazaki'Allahu khair for stopping by!.. I truly appreciate it.

Insha'Allah I hope you get to try it out, it is very fun!

Aww, how I wish you knew about the Fair. I'm a little surprised you didn't know, since everyone around what told.. it was all over Foundation, IIT, etc. Allahu alim. Insha'Allah next time (if there is one), I'll keep you posted.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Salam,
Nice works of art.
I plan to try this one....
Thankyou for sharing it.
Wassalam.

 

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Najeeba,

Jazaki'Allahu khair for the comment.

Insha'Allah I hope you get a chance to try it out.. please let me know how it goes.. or even better, share some pics of your work.

Barak'Allahu feeki.
Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Asalaamualaikum,

This looks beautiful & very neat, mashaAllah.
I love many kinds of crafts & other creative DIY. Have done stencilling on fabric as well as walls & doors. I used venyl sheets to make stencils. It worked well. Not tried freezer paper. I really like your design. I've mostly done florals & abstracts.

 

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Oh yes, I used to use the same sheets to make my own stencils - and still do for walls, furniture, etc. But for fabric, I found this to be the best.. because if done right, you have perfect, clean lines.. :D

If you give freezer paper a try, let me know how it goes.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

assalammualaikum
can you tell how can i get freezer paper back in my home in Indonesia..

 

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu Anonymous,

Forgive me for the delayed reply.

Humm, how I wish I could answer your question. Try looking for paper that has one side matte (like parchment paper) and one side wax (like wax paper) The wax is what makes it stick to the fabric.

And if all else fails, and you can't find it.. let me know how much you need.. I can mail you some, insha'Allah.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Deeni

Assalamualaikum warahma Sis,
I want to try this for my Summer camp student, but worry about the xacto knife, do you think they can handle it?

Wasalam,
Deeni

 

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu dearest Deeni,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was away for the weekend.

It would depend on the age of the students. I think children 11 yrs and up (with supervision) should be fine.

Even better, see if you can get them this cutter: http://www.crayolastore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=CRA+69%2D8005&SKW=CRAAWARD&subcat=&menu=&hdr=&

Please let me know how it goes if you decide to do it.

Thank you for stopping by!

Take care
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts