Sweet Potato Pie
Sunday, August 27, 2006
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

I have been cooking up a storm, much thanx to Hijabi Apprentice for sharing her wonderful Sweet Potato Pie recipe with me! The recipe is easy to follow, easy to make, and tastes very yummmyyy! (I shall be making this again, insha'Allah) Reminds me a little of pumpkin pie. I decided to add a graham cracker crust, and I found a recipe for Maple Cream to add to the top (anyone lucky enough to have Maple flavouring will know how good this is!!!)


My dear sister, here is your slice... smiling at you!



Here is the recipe from Hijabi Apprentice.


Makes 1 Pie

2 cups (16oz/450ml) mashed sweet potato (the orange kind)
1/4 cup (2oz/4tblsp) butter
1 egg
1/4 cup (2oz/59ml) milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup (2oz/4tblsp) brown sugar
1/4 cup (2oz/4tblsp) cane sugar
1/4 cup (2oz/4tblsp/56.8g) flour
1 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (or to taste)

:: Peel potatoes, cube and boil until fork tender.
:: Place hot potatoes and butter in a bowl blend on medium speed until combined.
:: Add egg, milk and essence one at a time, blending until combined.
:: Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in seperate boil.
:: Slowly add to potato mix, and blend well.
:: Pour into pie shell, or prepared Graham Cracker Crust.
:: Bake at 350°F (180°C) for an hour.
:: Once cool, pipe whipped cream or Maple Cream on.


Graham Cracker Crust
2 1/2 cups (20oz/568g) crushed graham crackers
butter - melted

:: Add enough butter to combine cracker crumbs.
:: Pat into pie dish.


Maple Cream
1 cup (8oz/16tblsp/237ml) whipping cream
1/4 tsp maple flavouring
2 tblsp powdered sugar - sifted

:: Whip cream until soft peaks.
:: Beat in (SLOWLY) flavouring and sugar until stiff, but still soft.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 2:26 PM | Permalink


4 Comments:


At 7:49 AM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dear Farhana,

I have one word for you in regards to your pie: fabulous! I would have never thought about making a graham cracker crust. I will definitely try the maple cream. Masha Allah you are a great cook! Oh and thanks for saving me a piece ;).

ma'a salaamah

ha

 

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister,

Oh thank you so much for the wonderful comments.

You are most welcome... your piece sure tasted good.. hehe :)

Let me know if you have a hard time finding Maple flavouring, I would be happy to help.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 3:27 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

is it sad that i come back to this post just to drool at your pie ;)?

ma'a salaamah

 

At 4:15 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister,

hehe..how cute, a drooling hijabi..hehe masha'Allah.


Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts