Monkeying Around
Monday, July 14, 2008
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

As some of you know I homeschool my nephew Abdullah who is 4 years old. AlhumduliLlah, so far everything is going well, and it's amazing to see his progress, tabarak'Allah. It is unbelievable how much time and dedication it takes.. even if it's just teaching a 4 year old! I truly admire those sisters (and brothers) who homeschool their children and pray Allah makes it easy for them, rewards them for their effort, and makes their offspring of the righteous. Ameen.

... I can't begin to imagine how much it takes to teach more than one child, at different levels!

Recently I did a unit on monkeys, what fun! I've added some baking time in our week, because he really enjoys it and it's a great way to get some math in, so I'd like to share an awesome Monkey Bread recipe we made. It really is great.. even the adults enjoyed it.


Serves: 8 -10 Monkeys

2 1/4 cup (18 oz) flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tblsp instant yeast
:: Place above in a bowl, mix together.

300 ml (10 fl oz) buttermilk
2 tblsp butter - melted
1 egg - beaten
:: Mix together, add to dry mix.

:: Knead dough.
:: Place in lightly oiled bowl, cover, allow to rise.
:: Cut dough into 1" pieces.

1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup sugar
1 tblsp cinnamon
:: Place pecans onto bottom of greased bundt pan.
:: Mix sugar and cinnamon together.
:: Roll dough pieces in sugar-mix, and place in pan.

1/2 cup butter - melted
2 tsp water
1 cup brown sugar
optional: 1 packet pudding mix - any flavour
:: Mix above together, pour over dough.

:: Bake at 350 F until golden brown.
:: Cool slightly before removing.
:: Enjoy!

Note: I made the dough ahead of time, Abdullah did the rest. Older children can make the dough themselves. I know some people just buy refrigerated biscuits (you'll need 30 ounces), I'm a 'from scratch' kind of person.. so it's up to you. As well, the dough itself makes lovely dinner rolls! (It makes approximately 25 rolls).



Additional Monkey Fun:

:: Sang to "Itsy Bitsy Spider tune" - Abdullah thinks the monkey version is great, and only sings this one now.

"The itsy bitsy monkey climbed up the coconut tree,
Down came a coconut and hit him on his knee - Oww!
Out came a lion a with his mighty mane - Annnnndddd
The itsy bitsy monkey climbed up the tree again."

:: Math: Connect The Dots (for older children: 1-60)
:: Craft: Monkey Puppet - print it out on card stock, have them paint/colour the images, and let them cut it out. When I taught kindergarten, I was surprised at how many children don't even know how to hold a scissors, let alone be able to cut something.. so provide them with the opportunity to learn, and explore. Children at age 3 can handle it, but make sure to never leave them alone with scissors.
:: Physical Activity: Monkey See Monkey Do (like Simon Says) - this is great outdoors, where you copy what the leader does.
:: Reading: Fortunately there are a lot of stories about monkeys!, like the famous Curious George, check out your local library.
:: Science: Curious George Clips - this is an excellent site!

That's a little of what we covered, use your imagination in making up other activities and have fun with it!

If you try out the recipe please let me know what you think, or your version of it.. I know there are many out there.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 11:16 AM | Permalink


16 Comments:


At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

WOW Hon, Nobody can be as creative as you, I am sure about that .. !!! :-)

Maryam

 

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dearest Farhana,

I didn't know you homeschooled your nephew (or maybe I forgot lol). Wow the mokey bread looks yummy!

ma'a salaamah,

ha

 

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

*monkey bread

 

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my very dear sisters,

Aww Maryam, you are so sweet.. tabarak'Allah.

Hijabi, subhan'Allah..you wouldn't believe.. I thought about you just yesterday, and was suppose to email to see how you are. I pray all is well at your end. Ah yes.. homeschooling.. it's just not that simple! And insha'Allah I might start back at the Sunday School.. depending on how plans go. If you have a change, give the recipe a try.. it's delicioussssss!

Jazaki'Allahum khair to the both of you for stopping by, I appreciate it.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Masya'Allah... you're very gifted my dear... u sure dun want to be a teacher? Very creative in both the recipes and the song. I like :)

 

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Adikbongsu,

A pleasure to have you visit me, as always :D

Haha.. oh sure, I'd love to be your teacher!

Glad to hear you like the recipe, and song. Try out the recipe if you have the time, it's worth the effort!

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 4:34 AM, Blogger nuh ibn zbigniew gondek

As salaam alaikum Farhana.

I just wanted to say "thank you" for that Pay It Forword project from last year. -- I was wearing the kufi you made for me (alhamdulillah) and it brought you to mind.

Ma'as salaama,
nuh ibn

 

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear brother Nuh,

What a surprise! I was wondering where you went. I just received my 'Pay It Forward' gift yesterday and thought about you!

You are very welcome. AlhumduliLlah, I am so happy it's something that you can use.

Jazak'Allahu khair for dropping by.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Farhana

 

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Amina

wow, that looks delicious
must try to make it!

 

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Looks.. yes, but definitely is :D Insha'Allah I hope you get to try it out.

Jazaki'Allahu khair for taking the time to drop by, I appreciate it.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Sarah

Assalam Alikom Farhana!

Farhana!!! I LOVE MONKEY BREAD... I ALSO Do a savory monkey bread with garlic butter! :)

 

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest Sarah..

Is this MY Sarah?? Ummlulu..hehe? I must agree, I love monkey bread as well! And the garlic butter one sounds wonderfulllll..ooo garlic!! :D I should try something like that.

Jazaki'Allahu khair for stopping by, and for giving me the garlic butter idea.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Sarah

yup its YOUR sarah.... and im addicted to your blog!! :)

ITs better than facebook!!! hahahaha!
Wallah You are an amazing person mashaAllah and im so proud to be RELATED TO YOU!!

May Allah reward your humble efforts always!!

your sister
sarah

 

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu MY dearest Sarah,

Yaaaaayyy! I am just so thrilled it's you!! :D I miss you tons.

LOL @ it's better than facebook..haha very funny.. thank you!

And jazaki'Allahu khair for dropping by, and leaving your wonderful comments, and dua's.

Look forward to seeing you sooooon, insha'Allah!

Wa'alaykum as-salam
Love Farhana

 

At 8:20 AM, Blogger burekaboy —

hi farhana, thanks for your comment on my blog. if you need any other info about making the 'thoum' as per what i posted, just ask.

i'm sure every monkey in town would like a piece of your monkey bread (including this one! LOL). it looks great ;)

ramadaan karim - hope your fasting goes well/easily with many wonderful things to enjoy each night for eid.

 

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Hello Bureka Boy,

Great to have you visit my end! Thank you for the Ramadaan wishes :D, and wonderful comment.

Ah yes.. z thoum! I appreciate your help.. although I hope I don't need it. I'll definitely keep you post on how that goes, God willing.

Take care
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts