Roll n' Jam Fill Cookie
Thursday, December 28, 2006
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

It seems like I just posted Eid cookie recipes. Here is my Eid-ul-Adha cookie recipe I'd like to share with you. The Roll n' Jam Fill Cookie!! It's a cookie we can be creative with, which is what I love about it. And of course it tastes good. It is also very easy to make. (edited 03/01/07: they don't taste good.. they taste beyond excellent!!)

I divided the dough in half. To one half, I added vanilla essence, rolled each ball in sesame seeds and filled the center with strawberry jam. The second half, I added maple extract, rolled each ball in brown sugar, and filled the center with apple-cinnamon jam.

I would love to hear from others who try it out. Please let us know what you rolled the cookie in and what jam, etc. you used as filling.

Be creative!


Makes 40

1 cup (8oz/16tblsp) unsalted butter
2 cups (16oz/454.4g) flour
1/4 cup (2oz/4 tblsp) sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp baking powder

Essence/extract of your choice
What you decided to roll your cookie in
Jam of your choice


:: Cream butter.
:: Add sugar, salt, flour, baking powder and essence of your choice.
:: Cut dough into 40 even pieces and form into balls.
:: Roll in what you have decided to use.
:: Place on greased (or parchment covered) cookie tray.
:: Make a thumbprint in the center or each ball.
:: Fill with jam of your choice.
:: Bake at 400°F (200°C) degrees for 10 - 15 minutes.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 8:56 AM | Permalink


13 Comments:


At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Salaam dear Farhana,

These sound so yummy. I think I will make them for Eid... have to try and impress the future MIL ;-)

 

At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi sister Farhana

Are they coconut nests?

Asma

 

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dearest Farhana,

I am drooling! They look so good! YUM!

ma'a salaamah,

ha

 

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Ihsaan-the struggle

Salaamu aleykum sis...

NiCeBloG maash'allah, keep up the good work

Salaams

 

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Yusuf

Those cookies look delicious!!! You should open a snack shop! I'll let ya know how they taste when I get someone to make them for me...

 

At 6:32 AM, Blogger Organica

hehe. We should warn our fellow sisters to NOT allow their hubs to visit this site.

Hehehehe.

MashAllah sister. Wonderful as usual. I promise when I get married, I will make all these cookies for my husband and tell him you taught me.

ok?

Eid mubarak sweets

 

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

oh my... lotsa' comments! Jazak'Allah.

Amira: Insha'Allah I look forward to hearing how they turn out, and what spectacular ideas you came up with. Insha'Allah your 'future' MIL loves them!

Asma: Oooh.. great idea. No, these aren't coconut nests.. but rolling them in coconut would be wonderful! Thank you.

Hijabi: hehe.. no drooling. Now if you had moved a more to your right and up north.. I would have made you some! Next move, insha'Allah right?

Ihsaan: Jazak'Allah for dropping by!! and you have a wonderful blog yourself, masha'Allah.

Yusuf: What happen to giving cooking/baking a try?? 'some' of the best chefs out there are men.. it might be your calling in life..hehe

Organic Muslimah: hehe.. I pray you will one day make them for you and your husband, and all the kids :) Eid Mubarak my dear sister.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

As-salaam wa-alaikum Farhana,

These were a huge hit at Eid... The family and my future MIL loved them! Thanks!

 

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister Amira,

Thank you so much for trying it out and letting me know how it went. I am very happy it was a hit with your future mother-in-law. AlhumduliLlah.

Did you roll the cookie in anything different? or use any different fillings??

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

no I was in a hurry so I just did the two combinations that you suggested.

 

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister Amira,

No problemo :)
They both tasted great! AlhumduliLlah

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalamu alaikum Sister,

I just came across your blog today and it was love at first with sight with your recipes : ). I immediately tried out your roll and fill jam cookies coz they looked so easy and delicious. It was very easy to make and I rolled my cookies in dessicated coconut. It looked so pretty.

However, my cookies were not firm. They just melt in the mouth and they don't taste cooked, although the outside was quite browned. Was it too soft coz of a lot of butter? I don't know how to measure butter in cups ( how do you do it please?) so therefore I converted the whole recipe into grams and made it. Maybe some miscalculation took place? Nevertheless it still is quite delicious! But I'd like to make firmer cookies. Any advice please? Sorry for the bother.

Umm Maryam

 

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Umm Maryam,

Jazak'Allah for stopping by and leaving your wonderful comments and feedback. No worries, your questions are not a bother :)

Insha'Allah next time I hope to try rolling then in coconut. :)

Humm.. if your measurements were correct, maybe baking it instead at 350F for longer might work.

If they spread a lot and don't really hold their shape, that's usually because of extra butter.

For measuring.. one pound of butter (which is how we buy it here..one block equals one pound) is equal to 2 cups. So for this recipe you'd need half that block. If you look on one side of the butter wrapper, it has lines indicating how much is a cup, half a cup, etc.

Insha'Allah I hope that helps.

I look forward to hearing from you, insha'Allah.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts