Got My Goat
Monday, July 07, 2008
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

I truly love animals.. I do, and the more I learn about them the more fascinated I am at how Allah has created such astounding creatures, subhan'Allah.

With all the incredible creatures out there, I have a great fondness for goats! Yes.. goats.. you read right. (Stop laughing.. I never ever claimed to be 'normal'). Which is why out of the many petitions I would have liked to share with you, I've chosen this one.

Please, please sign it. (yes.. this is me begging)

Got My Goat

It's about a new drug (called ATryn) that comes from the milk of genetically modified goats.

Scientists in New England have developed transgenic goats that posses a human gene. This gene makes the goats produce human proteins in their milk, and this protein forms the basis of the ATryn drug.

By putting human genes into goats, bio-engineers are turning helpless animals into mere drug factories. Fewer than 10 out of every 100 animals injected with the human gene while still in their mother's womb will be able to produce the altered milk. The other baby goats bred for drug production are killed immediately. What's more, some "successful" transgenic baby goats develop severe birth defects that scientists don't understand.

.. things like this make me sick! The whole process is cruel (which makes it unIslamic in my view) and they don't even know how safe it is for humans! Yaaay..

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 7:32 PM | Permalink


8 Comments:


At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Ma'salama sister,

You know, this sort of thing has always really made me curious. The halal bounds of biogenetics.

Whether it's stem cell research, or synthetic organs for the body... I mean, how far are we allowed to go?

Interesting to ponder. :[ I feel sorry for the goats though.

 

At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Thats very cruel indeed. Looks like Man can go till every possible limit to save themselves/or to secure their future.
I have signed the petition and hope that the target would be met too.

Take care Darling and Jazakallah ... :-)

 

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

Hey Nas, a pleasure to have you visit me, jazak'Allahu khair. I totally hear that!.. I wonder the same things. I can definitely come up with my own conclusions, but it would nice to hear what is actually acceptable from learned (trusted) scholars.

My dearest Maryam, jazaki'Allahu khair for the comment and signing the petition. All we have to do is look around to realize just how true your statement is!

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 1:12 AM, Blogger Desert Housewife A. (The Canadian in Jubail)

Asalaam 3alaikum wa ra7matullahi wa barakato!

Masha'Allah, your Blog is totally awesome-O! I'm adding it to my favourites right now!

 

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Desert Housewife A. (The Canadian in Jubail)

Hey I forgot to mention I am also a huge animal lover, and watching documentaries is what I call funnnn :-D

You should check out "The Life of Mammals" with David Attenborough, wallah it's soooo cool how they show the different species and how they interact.

Allah (s.w.t.) is most Great!

 

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Aalia,

Jazaki'Allahu khair for adding me to your favourites, I appreciate it very much.

Tabarak'Allah, it's wonderful to meet someone else who loves animals! Yes, I like watching documentaries as well. I've watched a few parts of The Life of Mammmals, and I agree... it's all very amazing! Thank you for the reminder, I should really try and check out the rest of it.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Awesome story.! Much food for thought… It really made my day. Thank you.

 

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu unduk,

You are very welcome. AlhumduliLlah, I am very happy I was able to make someones day :D

Jazak'Allahu khair for visiting my side of the net-world.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts