Vanilla Crescents
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

AlhumduliLlah I have already started my Eid baking!

So far it is turning out great.Every year I like to try a few new recipes, and then of course the rest are family favourites... which, if not made you are sure to hear about it!

This was my first try making Vanilla Crescents, and I am so happy with the way they taste and look, so I thought this would be a wonderful recipe to share with you, insha'Allah. It is also pretty easy to make, so even 'beginner chefs' can take a stab at it. And my nephew (Abdullah) helped me shape them, so it's kid friendly. I think they would also make great wedding cookies, because they look so pretty with the sugar on.. like little crystals.

I look forward to any feedback and/or questions. And if anyone has any cookie recipes on their blog.. please leave your prints, so I can check it out, insha'Allah.



Makes 50 Cookies

1 cup (8oz/16 tblsp/227g) almonds
6 tblsp sugar
1 2/3 (13oz/369g) cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (6oz/12 tblsp) cold unsalted butter
1-2 tsp vanilla essence
Approx. 1 tblsp whipping cream (or whole milk)
Granulated sugar - to roll cookies in

:: Put almonds in a food processor and process until finely ground.
:: Add sugar, flour and salt to almonds.
:: Cut butter in, either using your hands or with a food processor, until crumbly.
:: Add vanilla essence and cream and knead until a smooth dough forms. (you may need to add more cream, but be very careful!! - make sure to knead it well, before adding more)
:: Shape dough into crescents, and place on a baking sheet. (if your dough is too soft to shape at this point, put it in the fridge for a little while)
:: Once all shaped, put the whole tray into the fridge for 45 mins.
:: Preheat oven at 350°F (180°C).
:: Bake for about 15 mins, making sure they don't get too dark.
:: Carefully roll warm cookies in sugar.
:: Cool before packing away in an air-tight container, and hiding.. ready for Eid.
:: Say bismillah and enjoy!

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 9:27 AM | Permalink


10 Comments:


At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

As-salaamu'alaykum Farhana, been reading your blog and truly love it! Mash'allah you are so creative! Your food posts look sooo yummy! Just wondering about where you get vanilla essence that is halal as most supermarket brands all have alcohol?

You take care and enjoy your Eid baking!

Zahira

 

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barkatuhu my dear sister Zahira,

So nice to hear from you, jazak'Allah for the wonderful comments.

Excellent question, you'd be surprised how hard it is to find halal vanilla essence (that tastes good!), but alhumduliLlah so far we haven't been without.

I don't know where you are located. For anyone in Ontario, Canada.. Markam (Toronto) area.. a store called "Soon Lee" (on Markam Road and Eglington) sells it, 16oz for $3.

Here is a link to the brand I buy: http://www.bedessee.com/00_canada.html I think you could even order it from there.

I hope that helps, insha'Allah.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dearest Farhana,

Ooh! After the grand success that I had with your apple pie muffins I cannot wait to give this recipe a try. Of course I will let you know the results!

ma'a salaamah,

m

 

At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

lol. I didn't make these, but my friend made them for Eid. She said they were a success and the hub thought they tasted like a cookie they make in Algeria :)

Happy Eid.

 

At 6:19 PM, Blogger UmmAbdurRahman

mashaallah these were YUMMY!!! i'm sister organicmuslimah's friend. i added about 1T rose water to the dough and made they had an authentic north african flavor. thanks for sharing the recipe.

 

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Ooh ummabdurrahman! thank you for thip about rosewater! i add rose water to my lemon bar recipe for that fresh clean flavor!

 

At 12:42 PM, Blogger J Lev

Hey sis have you seen this: http://www.cupcakeblog.com/

 

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sisters,

Thank you so much for the comments.

Umm Abdurrahman, I appreciate the feedback, and the tip.. insha'Allah I shall try it out that way next time I make it.

Um Mahtab, I remember bumping into that site once, then I lost it!! Thanx a million, for it..and all the other sites you have emailed me :)

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Khadija Dawn Carryl

Assalaamu Alaikum Farhana
MashaAllah I wanted to thank you for your comments on the blog spot and I hope that one day we might have the pleasure of meeting, bi'ithnillah !
Jazakallahu khairan and those cookies are a must try !! I think I will do just that

walaikum salaam

Khadija

 

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister Khadija,

Oh, that would be so wonderful, to meet on day.. if not in this world, insha'Allah the next :)

How did the cookies making go?

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts