Ramadaan Surprise Box
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

After bumping into The Egyptian's Wife post on the wonderful Ramadaan Surprise Box she made for her dear children, I decided to try one out for my nephews, Abdullah and Umar.

An excellent tutorial can be found at Islamic Parenting.
A few tips I'd like to share: If you cut the squares out with a utility knife you get a nice clean edge, use double sided tape to make your own stickers to fit your theme if you can't find stickers you like, and to fit my theme I just painted my box instead of using wrapping paper.

Although they are both young, (3 years old and 1.5 years old) I hope it would still be a means of them to learn a little about Ramadaan and make it a special month for them, as it is for us insha'Allah.



I decided to make the box look like a masjid since it is something Abdullah is familiar with and loves. Each box is filled with dates, a written message, and a little something, like lollipops, prayer beads, mini toys, lip balm (they love lip balm), and other things they like. The last two days have balloons and streamers in, which they can decorate the house with, for Eid insha'Allah.

Here are a few of the written messages I used that Abdullah should be able to understand. But you can change them to suit the age.

:: Muslims fast in Ramadaan.
:: After Ramadaan we celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr.
:: We should make lots of dua' in Ramadaan.
:: It is good to give money in Ramadaan to the poor people.
:: On Eid day we say, "Eid Mubarak!" to everyone, which means "Have a blessed Eid!"
:: In Ramadaan we should pray "laa'ilaha illallah" a lot.
:: When we break our fast it is called 'Iftar'.
:: When we break our fast we should say "Thank you" to Allah for giving us food to break our fast.
:: Allah gave us the Qur'an in Ramadaan.

If anyone else decides to make one, let me know all about it! I'd love to see pictures of it, and hear any ideas you might have.


While on the topic of Masjids, I am hoping to paint one for my parents, insha'Allah. Help me out here, what painting would be more appealing to you, a Masjid that already exists, or a totally different Masjid? I look forward to any feedback, insha'Allah.

NOTE: above tutorial link no longer works... please visit this page: Ramadaan Surprise Masjid

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 4:35 PM | Permalink


12 Comments:


At 7:32 PM, Blogger Farzeen

Assalaamu'alaykum wa rahmatu Allah

Masha'Allah very nice. I'm sure Abdullah and Umar will enjoy it and insha'Allah also benefit from it. I'm sure you also had a lot of fun too..hehe.

As for painting a picture of a masjid... well hmm... What is the artist feeling? One suggestion is to use a picture of a masjid as a guide and then add your own touches wherever you see fit. This is my compromise between both options. :)

Sometimes it's difficult to find a clear picture of a masjid at the right angle/good lighting, etc. But hey, what do I know about that anyway :). Put love into it, and I'm sure it will turn out fine, insha'Allah. If not, there's always good ol' gesso :D.

 

At 7:16 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear Farzeen!

Oh yes...hehe, I sure did have fun as well.

Jazak'Allah for the comments about the masjid painting. I agree, finding the right masjid pic to actually copy is difficult!.. I have been looking :)

hehe.. got to love gesso!

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Umm Abdullah

Assalamu'alaikum

Here's an idea how about a masjid that doesn't really exist but is inspired by either a particular masjid or a few of them. For example a lot of people like to draw the mosque in Turkey (I think it's called the "Blue Mosque".. it somewhat looks like the Taj Mahal). I've seen from Adam's world videos that the mosques in Malaysia are well known for it's architecture :)

Oh and about the Ramadaan box/masjid..very good idea to whoever thought of it,and a very well job done!! Masha'ALlah (as usual Masha'Allah :)). I'm sure the kids will love it, and their mother greatly appreciates the effort you're going through to help teach her children in a creative manner ;) Jazaka'Allah Khairan :)

oops I should have read Farzeen's posts she had the same idea ..hehe :) lazy shir!

 

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu Shrimp!!

Jazak'Allah for the wonderful feedback. (Isn't the Adam world videos for the kids and not you..hehe)

Barak'Allah feek Shireen.

And a special thank you to sister Asma, who sent me so many amazing pictures of the Blue Mosque, which she had taken. It is a very beautiful masjid.. and that is probably why people tend to draw that one.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu alaikum wa Rahmatulahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dear Farhana,

Masha Allah! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.

ma'a salaamah,

ha

 

At 9:41 AM, Blogger UmmZaynab

Maa shaa Allah! I am so excited about this! You have truly perfected my design! See, I'm not a crafty or artistic person at all, I just had the idea for the construction. I can't wait to make your picture the header on the instructions page! Waffaqaki l-laah!

 

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sisters,

Jazak'Allah for the lovely comments.

Ummzaynab, the idea is the most important part! (without it, we both have nothing) Masha'Allah, you did such a wonderful job with the tutorial.. thank you so much. I look forward see any new ideas you may come up with for future projects, insha'Allah.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 12:43 PM, Blogger UmmLayla

WOW!!! That is wonderful, Masha'Allah!!!! OK, you totaly rock at this creative interpretation of crafty ideas thing!

 

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister Umm Layla,

Jazak'Allah for the wonderful comments!! It's so nice to see you this end :)

And thank you for posting all the great Ramadaan projects you have done.. insha'Allah it will be of benefit to others.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Coniqua

Ma sha Allah you did such a wonderful job on the box, it looks like it took quite a bit of work. Do you have any instructions on how to make it? The original instructions that were linked to are no longer working, I guess that can happen since it was over 5 years ago, ma sha Allah.

 

At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Salaam I am looking to make something like this. I went to The Egyptian Wife blog but the link to the directions is broken. Do you have the directions on how to make the box?

 

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum
Sorry Coniqua I never received you msg, I'm not even sure how old it is.

Insha'Allah I will try and make another one next week, and will post a tutorial up for both of you.

Jazakum'Allahu khair for the visit :)

Take care
Farh

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts