Pumpkin Bread
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

Before pumpkin season runs away, I thought I'd share a Pumpkin Bread recipe with you. The same wonderful people who brought me tomatoes, brought a pumpkin a few days ago. I'm sure the recipe would work just as well with canned pumpkin.. but I try and stay away from things with preservatives! (who knows what you end up putting into your body)

Oh.. the bread is pretty moist.. some would even call it cake, as my dad did. You can taste the pumpkin, which I like about it.. some pumpkin breads, you'd never know had pumpkin in. And of course, it's delicious.. otherwise I wouldn't bother to share it with you. If anyone tries it out, let me know how it goes..insha'Allah.


Makes 2 loaves

2 1/2 cups (20oz/592ml) (stemmed and mashed) pumpkin
2 cups (16oz/455g) sugar
1 cup (8oz/237ml) water
1 cup (8oz/237ml) vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 1/3 cups (27oz/766.8g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup (8oz/227g) pecans - chopped
1/2 cup (4oz/114g) raisins

:: Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
:: In a mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, water, vegetable oil and eggs.
:: Beat until well mixed.
:: In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves, pecans, raisins, stir well.
:: Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients, mix until well combined.
:: Grease two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans and dust with flour.
:: Evenly divide the batter between the two pans.
:: Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
:: Cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove from pans by inverting onto a rack and tapping the bottoms.
:: Slice and serve plain, buttered, or with cream cheese, or ice-cream. (yes, yes.. I ate my first slice with ice-cream)

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 10:05 AM | Permalink


8 Comments:


At 1:32 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dearest Farhana,

Yeah!!! Another recipe that looks FABULOUS!! Yum-yum-yum! Ooh I'd love to make this for my cookie monsters. If I make it I will definitely post.

ma'a salaamah,

ha

 

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister,

Insha'Allah the cookie-monsters enjoy it :) I look forward to hearing how it goes.

I have some really 'fun' recipes I would like to try with/for my nephews.. insha'Allah I shall post them once I get around to making them, so you can keep your cookie-monsters happy... and keep yourself safe..hehe :)

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Asalaamu Alaikum Sis

The baby is due the first week in January. I'm, gettin nervous! I have an 11 year old so it's been a while.
I wish you were here in Atlanta, I have a project for you:)! I'm looking for someone to make a bedding set for the baby crib. I have alot of African fabric, great ideas but NO sewing machine or the know how to make it.

Anywayz, Inshallah we'll meet oneday. Maybe you can come to Atlanta to work with Reconnecting Rooots then ....I'll pick your brain for all kind of ideas.

Salaam
~Gm*

 

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Wa ALaikum Salaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Ooh I look forward to more recipes!! Yes please help me protect myself from the cookie monsters! LOL!!!

ma'a salaamah,

ha

 

At 8:12 AM, Blogger wayfarer

As salaam alaikum!

Looks yummy! I have a wonderful zucchini bread recipe you may like...lemme know if you want it. :-)

How's the crocheting coming along? It's hard at first - it took me two weeks to get a swatch done right but then it just clicks and becomes easy.

 

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sisters,

Jazak'Allah for all the comments :)

Masha'Allah Global-Muslima, please keep me updated on the birth. May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen. Oooh.. a crib bedding set in African print sounds so cool! I love African prints! :) *I would have loved to help you with your project*

Insha'Allah we can meet one day.. if not in this world insha'Allah in the next :)

hehe... Hijabi Apprentice, I'm busy making 'wedding' cookies for my cousins wedding at the moment, but after that I will work on the 'fun' ones.. insha'Allah.

Wayfarer, I would love to try out your zucchini bread recipe :) You have such wonderful recipes.. I've already made a mental list of the ones I hope to try.

My crocheting is going pretty good.. alhumduliLlah, thank you for asking. I decided to follow the book starting from page one. So far I've done all the basic stitches, I can make a circle, and yesterday I tried out the 'v stitch'.. no problems yet :) Insha'Allah once I get to the 'pattern' section, I'll work on something more concrete. And how are your crochet projects going? Do you knit as well??

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 11:15 AM, Blogger wayfarer

No knitting yet. Insh'Allah that is next. I'll post the bread recipe on my blog...that way it's there too. :-)

 

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister Wayfarer,

Jazak'Allah. I look forward to trying out the recipe and reading about you knitting one day :)

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts