Basic Tote
Monday, September 22, 2008
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuh
This is a very simple, easy to make kids tote. I'm posting it because I need it for a different project, insha'Allah.. but I hope you can benefit from it as well. They'd work great as a grocery tote too.


It's kid friendly because of the fabric, size and the handle size. The square bottom makes it roomy enough to fit toys, books, crayons, and the height and width are perfect for standard-size colouring books. They'll be packed and ready for an adventure!

Cut 2 pieces of fabric 12"w x 15"h.
Making sure the print is in the right direction - cut out a 1.5" square at the bottom of each end.


 For Handles: cut 2 pieces of fabric 4"w x 13"h.
Fold each piece in half (length-wise) and iron - purple line.
Open up, fold each side to meet the purple line, and iron - green line. Close in half again and iron.


 While you at the iron, press the top of each bag fabric - 1" fold inwards. You will only be stitching this down at the very end!!!!
 

Finish the edges of each side (4 edges for each piece) of bag fabric (with a serger or zigzag stitch).
Place right sides together, and sew along the sides, and the bottom.


Open the tote and pin or hold the bottom edges together (the squares you had cut out).
Make sure the seam of the side lines up with the seam at the bottom.


 Stitch together, and finish edges (with serger or zigzag stitch).



Stitch as close as you can to each side of the handle.


Open the fold (you had ironed) at the top of the bag.
Place the handles approx. 0.5" in from top edge (read handle placement) and stitch.
 

Note: handle placement: Fold the whole bag in half, make a crease in the center with your finger. Open, and fold the edges to the center, make a crease with your in finger (just like how you made the handles). Place each handle edge on the inside of the edge creases.


Fold ironed crease back down, lift handle up, and pin in place.

 
Stitch around the edge of the top of the bag.
Optional: iron your seams all nice and flat.

Voila!.. you are done!

If anything needs to explained further, please let me know. It's sometimes hard to write a tutorial without making it an essay.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 3:54 PM | Permalink


10 Comments:


At 8:08 PM, Blogger Hajar Alwi

Assalamualaikum dear sister Farhana,

That's such a cute lil' tote! Which reminds me, I could include this as one of the mini projects that I can do during my free time. ^

PS: The tutorial is just fine. :)

Take care and w'salam,
Hajar

 

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Mona Zenhom

Salams Sister,
That's so cute, you make it look so easy. I should get a sewing machine!

 

At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Masha'Allah it's so easy to make!

 

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Hajar!! Lovely to see you. Jazaki'Allahu khair for the wonderful cooment.. alhumduliLlah, I'm glad the tutorial is fine. If you end up making it, please let me know how it turns out!

Dear Mona, it really is very easy. I yes, I think you'd have lots of fun with a sewing machine.

Umm Abdullah, great to see you.. easy.. and kids love them! They end up more fascinated with the bag than the contents.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalaamu alaikum,

That's gorgeous masha'Allah sis! My 4 year old son would fall in love with that! He does like dragging a bag full of cars around the house! LOL

"If anything needs to explained further, please let me know. It's sometimes hard to write a tutorial without making it an essay."

Errr... ok, how do you thread a sewing machine? LOL Yup, I am rubbish at sewing unfortunately and sewing a button on a shirt is about my limit. :/

Umm Ibrahim

 

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Jazaki'Allahu khair for the sweet commentS.

It's so cute watching kids 'dragging' their toys around.. leaving a trail of evidence.

Haha... oh you must get a sewing machine! You'll have lots of fun. It's a lot easier than it looks. Even if you can pick up a second-hand one, I'm sure you'll have a blast! Umm Ibrahim, it'll even sew the button on! :D (and I'm always here to help)

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 10:40 PM, Blogger Unknown

As salaamu 'alaikum, Masha'ALLAH! I haven't sewn in so long! Very nice.

 

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest Nakia,

Always wonderful to see you! OH.. you must get back into it! I think you'll throughly enjoy it.. and I'm sure it's much more fun when you have children, so you can make things for them.

Jazaki'Allahu khair for stopping by.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalamu'alaikum wr wb,

you're truly creative my sister :)

 

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Wonderful to see you! I hope you had a lovely break, and back to blogging :D

AlhumduliLlah. I pray I can use my creativity for good.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts