A Lesson On Kindness
Saturday, August 11, 2007
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

This is a little delayed, but I managed to find the picture and thought you could have fun with this. It works well as a craft for children, so those with little ones on summer break here is something to do.

I made this with my Sunday School children (4-7 yrs). I first taught them a lesson on kindness. One way of showing kindness is giving gifts. So the children thought about who they are going to give their magnets to, and then got creating! They had a blast, and did a wonderful job..masha'Allah.


There is a lot you can do with salt dough, but it is not like clay! The texture is different. I prefer clay for may reasons, but they are plus sides to salt dough..like it's cheap.

Over working the dough will make it sticky, so keep extra flour in a shaker close by.

In this dough I added Tempra paint to add colour. It needs a good amount of paint to turn out nice and bright. However, once it dries..it goes a dull colour. So to brighten it up, once they dried I coated them with decoupage (a mixture of white glue and some water should work too) glue. And glue-gunned a magnet at the back. (You can find magnets at a dollar store).

For yourself or older children it might be a better idea not to colour the dough and paint it once it's done.

Makes: a lot!

2 cups (16oz/455g) flour
1 cup (8oz/227g) salt
1/2 cup (4oz/118ml) water - at room tempreture
optional: 1 tblsp cooking oil (to make the dough smoother)

:: Knead together.
:: Divide dough into 3 parts (or as many colours as you want).
:: Add food colouring or paint to each part.

note:
1 tblsp oil - smoothness
1 tblsp vinegar - hardness
1 tblsp wallpaper paste - elasticity

It takes a good week to dry..and longer if the piece is thick. Or you can choose to oven dry it, but I just left them to air dry, to avoid any burning.

You can use cookie cutters to make some nice shapes.

note: they are very prone to cracking if they drop. It's still a craft to have fun with.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 12:10 PM | Permalink


5 Comments:


At 10:41 AM, Blogger *Under*Cover*Sister*

wasalamalaikum sis
wow, now that is creative mashallah!! looks fun
Jazakallah khayr for stopping by UCP again =)
xxxxxx

 

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Jazak'Allah for checking by at my end! :) much appreciated.

Ahh yes, I have to admit, it was for my class but I had to join in, and it was definitely fun!

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 7:05 PM, Blogger The Muslim Wife's Kitchen

Ah! Too cute masha'allah!! Definitely on my list of things to try insha'allah :-)

 

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

So nice to see you around, it's been a while :)

I look forward to seeing/hearing how it goes..insha'Allah.

I hope all is well at your end.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts