Don't worry, about a thing...
Monday, October 06, 2008
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

..'cause every little thing is gonna be alright. Rise up this mornin'... okay I'll stop.

Before I introduce this wonderful book.. take note, you do not need to be in a state of sadness to read it.. it's filled with much more, three little birds scattered about.

Personally, I'm still in awe at how Allah used this book to help me. There were times I put it down, only to find that the next time I picked it up to read, it applied to the circumstances in my life, right at that very moment, alhumduliLlah. I made better decisions because of it.. much better, ones I could have regretted. Now I know.. it may not touch others in the same way, but it does have information that we could all use (even if we claim to already know it).



Title: Don't Be Sad
Author: 'Aaidh ibn Abdullah al-Qarni
Available: IIPH
Ebook: PDF file

Have I learned anything from it, or was it all review? A mixture. Well.. I found a lot of things I already know, but whether I had actually reflected upon it and I applied it to my life is a different story. AlhumduliLlah, I don't know if it is the way the book is written, my circumstances, etc. but there was a lot to think about.

Does the author use Qur'anic and authentic hadith texts? Lots, lots!.. as well as quotes from other people, poems, sayings, etc. Everything is clearly stated/sourced. I really liked how the Qur'anic verses were used. It makes you reflect upon them 'differently'. (ie: not with a different meaning - but in context, - more tafseer like.. does that make sense?)

Is the book easy to understand? Easy to understand. The author suggests not to read it all at one sitting, which I agree with. Chapters are short, but packed with valuable lessons. This makes a greatttt gift by the way!

Notable pages? With all the pages that made an impact, this one stood out the most:
"Allah's slaves are always swaying from the first state (losing all hope) to the second (having trust and hope in Allah). During the period of a single hour, one can have his share of both. So he obeys Allah and pleases Him, he remembers Him and thanks Him - and he is only able to do these through His help. Shortly afterwards, though, he disobeys Allah, goes against His commands, earns His anger, and is generally in a state of forgetfulness - all because Allah has left him to himself. Therefore Allah's slave is always oscillating between His divine care and between being forsaken.

Whenever one of Allah's slaves witnesses this phenomenon - that of changing from one state to the other - he should appreciate the dubious nature of his situation and his extreme need of being guided by Allah in every breath he breathes and in every moment he lives. His faith and belief are in Allah's hand. If Allah were to leave him alone for even the blinking of an eye, his faith would plunge to the ground. You should therefore realize that the One who is protecting your faith is the One Who is preventing the sky from falling to the earth." [pg. 233]

Extra: Video clip based on the book: Don't Be Sad

Out of 5: Definitely 5 and above. AlhumduliLlah, I'm so happy I read it.

I know there are a lot of people who have had the opportunity to read this book, I'd really like to hear what you thought. Has it made a difference in your life? Anything that stood out above the rest?

Labels: ,

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 11:49 AM | Permalink


18 Comments:


At 12:37 PM, Blogger بنت بيتر

assalamu alaykum sis farhana! thank you for your kind eid wishes! i hope yours was great :)

i loved this book! i got it BEFORE islam, and it intrigued me more into reading about islam, and i always pick it up now and then to read more pages, but i never really read the book cover to cover, i dont know why! but i love it, its inspirational, even in parts... have you read one by the same author, called "You can be the happiest woman in the world?" I posted an excerpt here:

http://healthymuslimah.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/no-one-is-ever-completely-happy/

its really fantastic too! but i cant find the PDF online. Let me know if u do!

 

At 3:40 AM, Blogger HF

Salaam sis! Jazakallah for this post, i will definitely start reading the book. Oh and the one umm travis mentioned sounds lovely too! I wonder why we look into self help books to boost our confidence when low when all the anecdotes are available in the quran, hadith, sunnah, seerah of the prophet and life of sahabas. Subha'nallah!

 

At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Plz make duaa I find my copy.
I love loveeee this book
:[

 

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Umm Travis, always so nice to 'see' you :D Jazaki'Allahu khair for the feedback. Interesting enough, I did wonder how someone who wasn't Muslim would take this book. I personally think it could benefit everyone (Muslim and Non). May Allah continue to bless us with this deen. Ameen.

And thank you so much for letting me know about the book "You can be the happiest woman in the world?" haha.. I happen to have borrowed it from my aunt a few days ago, and have it sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Insha'Allah soon. If I come across the PDF I'll definitely let you know.

Habayeb, barak'Allahu feeki my dear sister. I totally share your thoughts on that!! We already have all the answers/help :D alhumduliLlah.

hfm, I'm sorry. Insha'Allah you find your book. Maybe ask people around you if they have seen it... if all else fails, go purchase another copy.. it's worth it.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalaamu alaikum,

I love this book too! We have copies in English and Arabic. :) I bought my copy in the UK quite expensively after dh kept reading bits and translating for me and then I returned to Riyadh and found it was waaaaay cheaper here! lol

Really nice book that you can read from cover to cover or dip in and out of and always find something inspirational masha'Allah. May Allah reward the author, ameen.

 

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Hajar Alwi

Assalamualaikum dear sister Farhana,

My sister bought it recently. Imagine that! Clearly I'll have to make it a point to borrow it from her after reading your reviews.

Thanks for sharing and may Allah S.W.T grant you with goodness. ^

 

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Umm Ibrahim, Ameen. Awww, insha'Allah your copy lasts for many, many years :D I think IIPH (the publisher of this book) has a branch (if not the main branch) right in Riyadh. If you would like their addres & phone, let me know..I'd be happy to email it to you.

Jazaki'Allahu khair for dropping by and letting me know what you think about the book, much appreciated.

Hajar, Ameen. Jazaki'Allahu khair my dear sister. Ah yes, you definitely need to borrow if from your sister, - and no crying in this one!..hehe happy reading :D

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

At 4:49 AM, Blogger Adventurous Ammena

masha'allah, I have had this book for probably over one year now but never started it... too many to read before *blush* but insha'allah one day I will dip into it and be reminded of all the beautiful things my sisters say about it

 

At 8:25 PM, Blogger ZORRO

..so you got to finish it!!! Well done!! ..I'm still plotting through it... for some reason I couldn't seem to get 2 pages read at one sitting... so I stopped. I guess my taste in books is quite different from those of others...

 

At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I am a big fan of Shaikh 'Aaidh, he has a weekly program on Dubai TV. I think we need more scholars like him :-)

 

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters and brother,

Jazakum'Allahu khair for the taking the time to comment.

Ameena, haha.. well, I had the book sitting for a year or more as well! I read a few pages,..and don't know what happen after. AlhumduliLlah, I finally sat down and read it! (I've finally got my 'reading routine' down again) Yes, yes too many to read, I hear that.. I hope you decide to give this some time, it's well worth it :D

Umm Umar.. aww shucks, I remember you telling me you started it, and I really thought you'd be done before me. Humm.. I don't know if I'll put it down as a taste thing, because of the subject matter, but maybe give it another try in a few months.

Dubai guy..lucky you! Do you know if you can get any of his programs online? I totally agree, we do need more scholars like him.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Farhana

 

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Salaam,

I received this book a few years ago as a birthday gift from a very dear syeda and I have treasured this book and have read it several times. Each time I read it I go deeper. A great book to add to your library and to give as Eid gifts.

MaSalaam

 

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest Wadiya,

Jazaki'Allahu khair visiting me! and leaving such a great comment. I really like that you mentioned each time you read it you go deeper,.. so insha'allah I will try and make it point to re-read it down the road.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Hajar Alwi

Assalamualaikum sister Farhana,

No crying? Then that's definitely the book for me!Haha~ Too bad my sister is still reading it. Guess I'll have to wait. *patience ... patience!*

Take care and W'salam,
Hajar

 

At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

wa alaikoum al sallam wa rahmat Allah

I have this book but didnt get the chance to fully read it..
inshaAllah i'll try to benefit from it :)

Jazakee Allah khair

 

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Hajar... haha.. yes, yes, patience, patience :D Please come back and comment once you have the chance to read it :D

Candle of Hope, jazaki'Allahu khair for visiting my end! The good thing is it's not a book you have to read front to back.. but insha'Allah I hope you get to complete it.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Asalaamualaikum,

When i was going through a very big trial some years ago, my teacher gifted me this wonderful book. What it meant to me then is something i can't describe in words. I would read a few pages everyday & it became my companion for a long period of time. When i was nearing its end, i would actually start feeling 'sad' (yes sad!) at parting with this companion. And SubbhanaAllah, just when i completed the book, another friend gifted me the other book by the same author, 'Happiest Woman in the World'. This book was not as great, but it sort of helped with the withdrawl symptoms i was feeling at the time.
But even today, the book, 'Don't be Sad' remains on my bed-side table. I still go back to it for solace & inspiration.

 

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Jazaki'Allahu khair for the wonderful comment!! It's so great to hear how it's made a difference in someone elses life. And thank you for letting me know about the other book, I shall give it a read soon, insha'Allah.

Oh yes, I too didn't like the see the book end. In fact I kept checking to see how many pages I had left.. hoping it wouldn't end.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Love Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts