Foundation of Faith
Sunday, March 01, 2009
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuh

Now this is a book everyone should read! Really.. I can't stress that enough.. and I don't mean you should read because it's so good, but because as a Muslim you should be well versed in its contents; it could make the difference between true belief in Allah and disbelief.

Something to think about, "Thus, it is the duty of every sincere believer in God to put aside his or her cultural experiences and emotional ties to family, tribe or nation, and acquire a working knowledge of Tawhid, the foundation of faith. For it is only in the application of that knowledge that man may achieve salvation."




Title: The Fundamentals of Tawheed
Author: Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips
Available: IIPH
Ebook: PDF file

Have I learned anything from it, or was it all review? Definitely! It's very well written, short but very concise.

Does the author use Qur'anic and authentic hadith texts? Yes, throughout the book. And this is one of the few books I've come across that are so well sourced. The Qur'anic text is in both Arabic and English, with where you can find each verse. Ahadith all have footnotes on who it's narrated by, and who it's collected by, as well as if it's weak, etc.

Is the book easy to understand? I was very impressed with how easy it was to understand because of the nature of the topic(s), like those directly related to Allah.

Notable pages? Abu Musa (radiAllahu anhu) said:

"One day Allah's Messenger (salAllahu alayhi wa-salaam) delivered a sermon, saying, 'O' people, fear shirk for it is more hidden than the creeping of an ant.' Those whom Allah wished asked, 'And how do we avoid it when it is more hidden than the creeping of an ant, O' Messenger of Allah?' He (salAllahu alayhi wa-salaam) replied,

'Say:'Allahumma inna na'oodhu bika an nushrika shay'an na'lamuh, wa nastaghfiruka lima la na'lamuh.' (O' Allah, we seek refuge in You from knowingly committing shirk with You, and we ask Your forgiveness for what we do not know about)." [Ahmad]

Extra: AlhumduliLlah, I was able to skim through Kitaab At-Tawheed (by Shaikh Abdul-Wahhaab) with Shaykh Feiz, and found it very beneficial. You can catch the recorded lectures here:
Lesson 1 Lesson 2 Lesson 3 Lesson 4 Lesson 5 Lesson 6 Lesson 7 Lesson 8

Out of 5: Definitely 5 and above. AlhumduliLlah, another book I'm happy I read, and regret not reading earlier in life.

Alright, you know the drill people.. let me know what you think? Did you find it as easy to understand? Has anyone read Kitaab At-Tawheed (by Shaikh Abdul-Wahhaab)?...how does it compare?

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 1:25 PM | Permalink


8 Comments:


At 4:36 PM, Blogger Umm Omar

I agree, this is definitely a must read for any Muslim. I haven't read the other one you mentioned, but maybe now I will. What I love about the book by Bilal Phillips is that it's very clear and direct-and it was written in English (vs having been translated from Arabic) so nothing is lost in translation.

 

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Hajar Alwi

Assalamualaikum Sis,

Another awesome book review. :) I'll list the titles now the next time I go splurging on books. ^^

Take care!

W'salam,
Hajar

 

At 11:57 PM, Blogger بنت بيتر

wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah wa barkatuh sis!

I would prefer the book by Shaikh Abdul Wahhab simply because it is more well known and he is a trusted source for Islamic information, whereas some people have brought up controversy regarding the Aqeedah of Dr. Phillips, and as Allah is the only one who knows the truth, I stay away from that which is doubtful, in shaa Allah...

 

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my very dear sisters,

Umm Omar, thank you for taking the time to let me know what you think. I totally agree with you .. I can't get over how clear and direct it is :D

Ya Hajar, we need to go book shopping together one day! I hope you get a chance to read this one, insha'Allah.

أم ترافيس, thank you so much for visiting my blog, and giving such awesome feedback. Yuppers, I'm aware of the controversy... I think that's how it goes these days. AlhumduliLlah, I found this beneficial, but I would suggest to others to read either (or both) - just learn more about Tawheed! :D

Love Farhana

 

At 1:19 AM, Blogger asfar

Dear Sis,

Assalamu Alaikum,

Mashallah very beautifual page, it has changed a lot since the last time i visited sketchedsoul. keep up the good work

God Bless You,

Take Care,
Asfar

 

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu dear brother Asfar

Jazak'Allahu khair for taking the time to visit me! AlhumduliLlah, I'm happy you like the look because I have no intention of changing it again :D

Please take care, and drop by again.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Farhana

 

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh dearest Farhana,

I'm gonna try to get this book and read it too ... thks for sharing this book review with us dearest :)

Luv
Adikbongsu

 

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Always lovely to see you!

You are very welcome, I hope you get a hold of the book.. it is definitely worth the read. And if you can't find it.. let me know, I'll send you a copy.. insha'Allah.

Lots of Love
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts