Guess Who's In Season?
Friday, November 09, 2007
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

Okay, I don't know if this lovely fruit is in season as-such.. but if you can find it in my grocery store, then it's in season! I thought I'll share some wonderful things about the pomegranate.
It is full of myths, health benefits, nicknames, recipes, medicinal properties, history and lots, lots more.
Anas bin Malik (radiAllahu anhu), narrated that the Prophet (salAllahu' alayhi wa-salaam), said: "There is not a pomegranate which does not have a pip from one of the pomegranates of the Garden (of Jannah) in it."
This beautiful fruit has been mentioned three times in the Qur'an. In Surah Al-Aníaam:99, Surah Al-Aníaam:14, and in Surah Ar-Rahman:68-69.

There are also several hadiths regarding its benefits, for example: Ali bin Abi Talib (radiAllahu anhu), narrated that the Prophet (salAllahu'alayhi wa-salaam), said: "Pomegranate and its rind strengthen digestion (stomach)."

Easy method to clean it: cut it in sections, place in a bowl of water and roll out the little seeds with your fingers. The pith (white part) should float to the top.. scoop out and discard. Strain seeds and use in your favourite recipe, or just enjoy as is.

Anyone who has a favourite recipe that uses pomegranates, please share.

So:
1) What does "pomegranate" mean?
2) One reason the pomegranate was mentioned in the Qur'an?
3) Name two health benefits of the pomegranate.
4) The fruit can been seen in which famous religious painting?
5) What modern weapon derives its name from this fruit?
6) How do you tell when the fruit is ripe??
Humm... maybe I should give the person who answers them right something.. what do you think?

Anyway..that's the pomegranate for you, enjoy.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 11:09 AM | Permalink


11 Comments:


At 8:12 PM, Blogger Surviving

A few days ago I had a salad that had some mixed in with all the other salad ingredients. It was a great addition!

 

At 1:45 PM, Blogger cindy

Yes, pomegranate are not so easy to clean. I actually frown upon the idea of having to clean it. I guess its all those seeds and the pith gets in the way. We usually enjoy it alone.

Healthy fruit as all I can say.

:)

 

At 10:49 AM, Blogger wayfarer

I like to add them to salads and fruit salad and there is an awesome chicken dish with it as a sauce. Pomegranate tastes a lot like wine so you can use it as a substitute for red wine in any dish. It's so healthy and yummy and one of the best foods of fall. I like it when blood oranges hit the shelves too although i haven't seen them last year or this year.

hmmm...lemme try
1) What does "pomegranate" mean? apple with many seeds
2) One reason the pomegranate was mentioned in the Qur'an? harvest, blessings and proof of Allah
3) Name two health benefits of the pomegranate. Good for the heart, lots of vitamin c and folic acid
4) The fruit can been seen in which famous religious painting? I believe one of the madonna christian paintings have it so does a greek one (jews eat it a lot too)
5) What modern weapon derives its name from this fruit? grenade
6) How do you tell when the fruit is ripe?? should be bright crimson red, and the skin should be sort of getting dryish/leatherish on the outside

Humm... maybe I should give the person who answers them right something.. what do you think?

i think that's a great idea lol

 

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Jazak'Allah for the comments.

(sorry for the delayed response, I some how blocked my email *don't ask* so I didn't know anyone had posted a reply)

Surviving, that's I have it.. in salad or just alone :) I'm glad you are enjoying them as well, alhumduliLlah.

cd, I totally agree with you.. cleaning it is not so fun (and it stains everythinggg).. but the method I mentioned in my post is so far the easiest I've tried.

Wayfarer.. well, well.. congratulations! What a smart cookie, masha'Allah.
1) Pomme is Apple, and Granate is seeds or grains
2) I was looking for proof, (ie: a sign) so you got it!
3) Yup, it also maintains health blood flow, slow (or prevent) cancer, prevents pre-mature aging and lots more.
4)Here is the picture of the painting for anyone interested (http://www.billcasselman.com/_sized.jpg) from Botticelli’s Madonna of the Pomegranate - awesome Wayfarer!
5)Grenade it is.
6)Yes, and it makes a metallic sound when tapped.

"I think that's a great idea lol"..hehe I think so too Wayfarer, give me a week or two to get something to you, insha'Allah.
Thank you for giving the 'quiz' a try :)

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

...oh Wayfarer, I forgot to ask, do you have the recipe of the chicken dish?? It sounds interesting.

So does blood oranges.. I have to look into this :) Jazak'Allah for sharing.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Pomegranates are best eaten just as they are... and digging out each morsel of tart goodness is half the fun:-). I love the way each tidbit explodes in your mouth. I can eat a whole pomegrante watching TV... mind you I have red fingers for a few days after. I will look and see if I can find some recipes that use pomegrantes

 

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest Amira,

So nice to see you! I just finish eating half a bowl like that, with my nephew who calls it 'sour-candy' :)

Jazak'Allah for checking for a recipe, very much appreciated.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I simply love eating it as it is. But I hardly buy it cos its pretty expensive in my country.

Love your post sister, truly enjoy reading them :)

 

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

I am sooo happy you enjoy reading my posts. Jazak'Allah for all your comments and for just being a great sister :)

Well hey, add this to a list of reasons to move to Canada..hehe not that they are cheap here, but occasionally it's not bad.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 5:07 AM, Blogger wayfarer

Salaams

Thanks so much for the yummy treat! I was just kidding when i wrote that and didn't expect anything lol.

I'll post the pomegranate chicken recipe soon... Blood oranges are really yummy but only in season for a short time. Last year i never found any but they are really good.

 

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister Wayfarer,

You are most welcome :)
... aren't surprises great! Eat a slice for me..please (if there is any left..hehe)

I look forward to checking out the recipe, jazak'Allah.

And thank you for the info on blood oranges, I shall keep a look out for them, insha'Allah.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts