The Road To Mecca
Friday, October 30, 2009
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

Now here is an awesome book.



Title: The Road To Mecca
Author: Muhammad Asad
Available: Thinkers Recourse
Type: Biography



What's it about? It's a travel narrative by Muhammad Asad, about his travels and experiences in the Middle East following his conversion to Islam.

Is it worth reading? I'm not sure why I like it SO much, but I do know there is nothing in it that I don't like. So check it out, it's definitely worth your time.

Is the book easy to understand? Well... yes. I think Muhammed is a brilliant writer!! I loved the style - one minute you're reading about some adventure, and the next minute it's the present journey.

Notable pages? A quote from a bedouin "If water stands motionless in a pool it grows stale and muddy, but when it moves and flows it becomes clear: so, too, man in his wanderings." (pg 48 - and throughout)


Out of 5: 5 or more :D

Let me know what you think about the book!

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 2:11 PM | Permalink


7 Comments:


At 3:24 AM, Anonymous Abu Layth

I read this book shortly after I converted to Islam. It was definitely inspiring, and the wisdoms that can be taken from it are certainly more than I can mention in a comment.

Thanks for reminding me of this great work!

Jazakum Allahu Khayran,
Abu Layth

 

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu Abu Layth,

Barak'Allahu feek.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the book as well.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Take care
Farhana

 

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Hafsa

Assalamu Alaykum!

You reminded me of my arabic craze!

http://haffu-taffu.blogspot.com/2007/10/ahlan-wa-sahlan.html

I had started reading this book - back in Oct 2007. Loved it so much, gave it away half way to a friend ;)

 

At 5:48 AM, Blogger Hajar Alwi

You received an award. ^^ - http://hajar-alwi.blogspot.com/2009/12/bear-hug.html

 

At 4:36 AM, Blogger Roving Soul

As-Salamu Alaykum =) This is an awesome book. I read it way back in 2004 I think. Bought it as gifts for friends since then. What I enjoyed most when reading was the bits of experience he had along the way - I guess the journey is as important as the destination =)

Hope you are feeling good and in high spirit =) Hugs.

 

At 6:56 PM, Anonymous sheepoo

This is absolutely an amazing book. I think this is the best insight into the Bedouin life, not overlooking the fact that it is the story of a person who came to Islam not by default but by choice.

Just my 2 cents!

 

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Maria I

Salaam!!

you need to update your blog!!! I demand more swaps!!! lol

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts